Saturday 31 August 2013

Beach or no beach?


Help!

Two working weeks gone now… After the drama of the previous day, things seemed to have calmed down just a tiny bit. Had a second management meeting in the afternoon to brief the top bod what had been done in the second week and what is to be done in the third week. The second in command was not invited at this one but will have a shorter version of this a day later. The most controversial item was, as I suspected, the organisation chart and responsibilities of each person. I said that I am not looking for an answer today but at this time next week.

I put forward recommendations which I classified as immediate, short and medium terms. Much to my surprise, the top bod accepted them all, subject to coming back to me re the org chart next week.

Left at the back of 7 again, had dinner, shower and crash out! Black out again! Managed to make do with my little fan; coped with the blackout and slept through the electricity coming back on and going off and even the early morning church service and had a decent sleep. What a difference that makes.

Will need to work most, if not all of the weekend this weekend, if my own set of obectives is to be met. These objectives are fairly stretched (even by my own standards) but I am going to do it. Why – am I mad? Yes, part of it is that but the better part of it is that the people involved here are very keen to learn and to make a difference for themselves and they have complied and done what is required of them. Of course, I would like to think that I am a good manager who explains the big picture as well as the detailed day to day work and keep people informed.

Knowledge sharing is badly required here and, of course, I am in my elements! As this concept is alien here, I started yesterday’s meeting with the sticks trick. Well, actually pencils. I gave a worker, six pencils and asked him to break them all at the same time and of course, he couldn’t. I then asked him to break one and, of course, he could. I said each pencil represents someone’s knowledge of the school… you know the rest. It was well received.

So far, subjects covered are IT, HR, accounting, management skills, Excel training… Very dull girl indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment