Tuesday 20 August 2013

Me, teach bassoon - you MUST be kidding!


My first full day

Breakfast was served at 7.15 am (bread, lovely avocado, bananas and passion fruit juice).

Briefing meeting at 8 am and then left to my own devices. This is, of course, the last week of the annual music camp (3rd and last week). Volunteers are even more scarce this year so, those who are here are       stretched to the full!

Janet asked me this morning: Don’t suppose you can teach bassoon? Dead right, I can’t!

Janet made 5 minutes free before her classes started this morning to brief me. That was enough time to email me the Excel that was set up to record the entire sheet music library of the school. We discussed VERY briefly the school’s requirements.
 
My assignment is to review what is set up, take into account the school’s requirements, design as appropriate, fine tune it with Janet tonight, before / after dinner. Hopefully, the design should be ready by my bedtime tonight. If this is fulfilled, then subsequent days can be spent teaching the appropriate personnel to take ownership and to start using it. This SO reminds me of a few databases that I set up for an Oil & Gas service company and an Oil & Gas operator. Same difference!!!

I am pleased that the model passed Janet’s scrutiny.

Next scrutiny is scheduled for the morning of Day 2, with the school’s Administrator.

First full day happened in a blur, 4 am start, till 6.30pm (not even a nap break, tut tut!). Very full on but very productive!

Lauren – you will be proud of me. On my first day here, I have located a supplier of beer… “Prestige” is indeed very gluggable! Apt end for a first day here! (The barber, who is located just opposite the school, has a "cool" fridge, full of Prestige! Very random, a beer selling barber but... quite handy!) And as you often said on a certain trip....amaaaaazing!
 
I got the first round... and was promptly told that I could not possibly be Sco'ish!

No comments:

Post a Comment