Monday 19 August 2013

36 hours door to door...

36 hours, door to door...


... from my Aberdeenshire home to my new Haitian home…


I left my lovely Steading at 11.30 am on Saturday morning for my flight from Dyce to Heathrow. Changed at Heathrow for JFK. Overnighter at JFK, then JFK to Port au Prince (PAP).  Arrived at PAP, got collected and roughly according to plan. There had been no delays at all at any point along the chain…but still, it had taken me over 36 hours to get here!

I arrived, dusty, sleepy, tired, thirsty and hungry… The only casualty so far, seems to have been my toiletries bag and my “liquid” bag, they must have got left behind at an airport security point, but which one?

Met up with Janet who showed me to my dorm, made sure I got fed and watered, had a shower and off to bed at 7pm, local time. It was a bit of a challenge to put up my cool mosquito net but managed it!

Had a good sleep and got woken up by … wait for this, sounds really stupid… the click noise made by the fan in the dorm as it got automatically switched off at 4 am (local time). Tossed and turned for a few minutes, then got up and started working, by torch light, to plan my day.

And call this a holiday? Alright, I rather have it this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment