Monday 12 August 2013

AfID

AfID workshop and how I got hooked


It was a full as well as a full on day, informative and illustrative. At the end of the formal workshop, a past volunteer came in and shared with us her experience as an AfID volunteer.

As we were leaving the premises, Neil (AfID's founder) said: "Guys, I will be in touch with you all next week. Thought that I would mention that there is a shortage of volunteers with languages, especially French and Spanish. So if you have languages, don't hold back and I look forward to hearing from you."

Suffice to say that by mid May, I was fully committed to a 4 week assignment in Haiti.

The first time I spoke with Janet on Skype, she asked me very simply what was my motivation and why EMDB.

I replied that I wanted to make a difference, make a small contribution to those who are less privileged that I am. I love music and believe in its uplifting and healing powers. My kids enjoyed music camp and I would like to help other kids to have the same pleasure...

Janet then asked why Haiti. I said that my holiday plan for the rest of 2013 was 10 days on the Small Isles in Scotland (Eigg, Rum, Muck and Canna) in the summer and a week in France in September. I had wanted to go to islands and also practice my French. Haiti fits all of my requirements: to do something worthwhile and make a difference, visit islands and speak French. Throw music in to the equation and what more could I have wished for even although a Caribbean country did not feature on my bucket list at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment