Tuesday 27 August 2013

Hot chocolate anyone?


End of Day 2, week 2


For the last 2 days, I have been a very dull girl indeed, all work and no play – forget about anything resembling 9 to 5! All the music people went away on Sunday and so, the real work begins for me. I am working with 3 music teachers, one female French secondee and 2 male, permanent, Haitian personnel.

I keep having to check myself – these 3 teachers have been working flat out for the last 3 weeks, so they are possibly slightly less keen to make progress than I do? My sometimes (too) high standards  could be another potential issue as well as my appreciation that  there is quite a bit of work and training to be done AND so little time in which to accomplish this. However, the real stumbling block is the lack of managerial and organisational experience, even at the most basic level. A simple illustration: there are 3 people supposedly dealing with finance; I asked for the bank statements and the reaction I got from all 3 was “I don’t know”! Great start to an accounting assignment, I tell you. I also have the impression that the 2 people at the top do not tend to sing from the same hymn sheet, hmmm… I have got my work cut out!

On a lighter note, I got accosted by the cook when I got home tonight. I got asked very sternly why I did not drink the hot chocolate she made for my supper last night. Fact is, it was SO hot, I did not really fancy a very stodgy, sticky, very sugarey hot chocolate. I don’t like very sweet things at the best of time. Not wanting to offend her, I only said that it was too sweet for me.

When I went down for supper tonight, she beamed at me and said – I made you hot chocolate without sugar. Really sweet of her but Aaaargh….

No comments:

Post a Comment