Friday 23 August 2013

Funny, fourth day


Tension is mounting…

Too many pupils or too few teachers, not quite sure which, but the end result is the same. Or is it artistic temperament? Whatever it is, there is definitely something in the air.

I did not have a good sleep the previous night and the day started pretty funnily; with me, walking to the school with an empty (beer) bottle in my hand, to return it to the barber.

The tedious work of writing a manual did not help. I struggled valiantly from 8 to just about midday. So, I left the school at noon, came back to the house, doused myself with lukewarm water and went to bed, having asked a fellow volunteer to keep some lunch for me but she should not, under the penalty of death, wake me up from my slumber, for food! Must have had about an hour’s snooze and felt infinitely better for it.

Went to work at 2.30pm and worked right through to 9.15pm as we had the first management meeting scheduled for 7.30pm but which did not start until 8.15 and it went on for just over one hour.

Came home, had very late supper and back to bed again.

Good result – another tedious manual has now been drafted. The meeting was good in that I have now the buy-in and authority to do what I am here to do.

At some point in the late afternoon, the now customary Prestige was very welcome. Shortly after this drink and I put it down to being a lightweight and got touched by the combination of heat and Prestige…  when an annoying “blan” (i.e. blanc, or white) individual who had been trying it on with me, verbally, since I arrived, and who would not take a barely disguised “Get lost”… I could not believe that I actually said to him “Boyo, stop it. I am out with your league!” Golly, do I cringe when I think about it now! BUT, he got the message!

No comments:

Post a Comment