Tuesday 3 September 2013

I have entered a time warp zone!


Wah… 3 more days have elapsed since my last post!

Where have they disappeared to?
I now have 3 different teams of people working on 3 different themes: IT; music library and musical instrument databases; and, students database and petty cash spread-sheet. I cannot overemphasise how satisfying it is to watch people look in, in wonder when they learn something new – it is simply magic. What is even more magical is when they come back and tell you that if this works with this, what about doing the same thing with such and such?
“My own” bean-counting work is behind but I am not fussed, it will get done eventually, by hook or by crook (burning the candle at both ends at some point, no doubt). It is much more important to teach people how to fish just now, figuratively speaking, that is…

Did get to the beach on Sunday afternoon though. To paraphrase someone dear to me: “The sand was too hot, the waves knocked me over and there were no showers!” However, I feasted on a grilled (freshly caught) lobster, fried plantains … washed down with (young) coconut juice and the inevitable Prestige. I had a really lovely and longish swim. The downpour put paid to our afternoon but it was getting late anyway. Still I have not figured out why everyone ran for shelter when you are wet (from the swim) anyway.

Does anyone have an answer for the next bit? I cannot understand why Haitians, as a general rule, can not swim? I mean Haiti is an island! Post answers please? Anyway, please do post comments as it is a bit lonely to be writing a blog without any interaction with your readers!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm the description of your feast is making my mouth water!

    About swimming - presumably there are very few swimming pools, and I can imagine it would be much scarier (and dangerous) to learn to swim in the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen any swimming pools at all, in fact.

    ReplyDelete